Sunday 2 March 2014

Almost four weeks ago, I boarded my flight to Spain with only my carry-on bag and a very vague idea of what the next three months of my life would look like.

I hoped I would learn Spanish. I hoped I would meet some amazing people that I could call lifelong friends. I hoped I would grow closer to God. I hoped I would be able to do some good in the world. 

Still, I had a lot of doubts. I was afraid I would be a loner. I was afraid that my boyfriend would dump me for leaving for three months. I was afraid that somehow, I would hate being a missionary and my faith would crumble. 

(This is the part where everyone laughs, because everyone knows I worry about stupid things.) 

My fears sound so ridiculous now. 

This trip has already totally exceeded my expectations--in ways I desperately wished for, and in ways I never even considered. Four weeks doesn't sound like much...and when you consider eternity, it really isn't; to God, four weeks is like a second. 

But God can do incredible things in a second. 


I may be finished with school, but I still feel like a student. And man, is God an awesome teacher. These are my notes from this week...


What Spain Has Taught Me


  • God speaks in mysterious, crazy-awesome ways. You can learn about God in the Bible, and feel His presence in prayer or at church, but He is everywhere. He speaks through drawings, even if you feel like you have little to no artistic ability. He can be found here in NarĂ³n, where the constant rain gives life and the sun is a promise of a beautiful day. God is certainly magnificent, but He can be found just as easily in the seemingly mundane aspects of life, too. 
  • It's okay to be bad at Spanish. Of course, you should do your best to learn a new language, but part of learning is making mistakes. A lot of them. No, I can't can't say everything I'd like to in Spanish...but a simple phrase and a smile can go a long way. I was recently told to not be afraid to say something in Spanish--I should just say it! Most people simply appreciate that you are trying to learn. Love has no language barriers.
  • I'm a Plant. Not literally. Duh. During one of our workshops this week, we took an assessment to learn about what we can contribute to the team. My score indicated that I was The Plant. Aaaaaaaallrighty then....
Obviously, these kinds of tests usually speak in generalities, but I'd say it's fairly accurate! Except it said I was an introvert, which is just not true (JOKE. THAT WAS A JOKE.). I loved this test because it only confirmed that we each have a purpose on this team. For instance, I probably won't be the one to delegate different tasks or plan an entire event because I kind of suck at that kind of thing. God wasn't being mean when he didn't give me those skills or talents--He just has something else in mind. 

  • The Old Testament is just as important as the New Testament. This sounds fairly obvious, but let me explain: most people would agree that many parts of the Old Testament are difficult to read. There are so many genealogies and laws to get through, names that are really hard to remember and pronounce, and destruction that seems so pointless. None of that is very fun to read. The Old Testament frustrates me because I read it and think, "God, I love You, but sometimes, I just don't get You." And when I don't understand God, my inner skeptic takes over. I always seem to make a distinction between the Old Testament God and the New Testament Jesus. However, Jesus said the Old Testament points to him. It's not the easiest text to study, but it is crucial to my faith...and the more I study and try to learn, the more I will hear God's voice. 
  • Loss is not the end. I never expected to lose a family member while I was on a mission trip. Especially not Kory. I've said before that his death does not mean we stopped loving him; his death also does not mean he is not with us. With every dime we find, every tattoo we get, and every drink in his honor, we feel Kory's presence. His death still hurts. I'm not trying to say it doesn't--but I think that our love for him is stronger. 
  • Eve is a lot cooler than you think. Every Wednesday, we have 'girl time' at Eli's house. Yes, we eat a lot of chocolate and drink a lot of coffee together. It's awesome. Even more awesome is what I learned this week about why God created women. Contrary to popular belief,  Eve was not meant to be Adam's useless sidekick. Food for thought. Women rule. 


See why I am so emotionally and mentally exhausted?!

And this is only the first four weeks! And it's not even everything I've been thinking about! Honestly, I think that would take ages. My brain can be a weird place.

As always, thank you all for your support, your kind words, and your love. I wouldn't be able to do this without you.

Dios te ama.






No comments:

Post a Comment